Thursday, October 17, 2013

Shall We Begin Again----I Think We Shall

I know----it haven't been very faithful to my readers!!!

I have done a lot of traveling this summer.   I enjoyed trips to Vancouver, British Columbia, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Emigrant, Montana, Norfolk, Virginia, Maple Hill, Kansas and Cincinnati, Ohio.    Come on---I make no apologies---I'm going to be 69 next month and I have earned the right to enjoy a little travel.

However, I also take seriously the promises that I made to my paternal grandmother, Mable Rachel (Jones) Clark, to my maternal grandmother, Mildred Mae (McCauley) Corbin-Clark, and my dear mother, Lucille (Corbin) Clark.    These ladies shared hundreds of old, identified family photos and pages and pages of history which the understanding that I would share the information with anyone interested.

Over the past several months, I have written about the Corbin Family and I will continue to do so over this winter.   I was finishing the information about the James and Cynthia (Casteel) Corbin Family and I will continue to do so.   I will finish the information about George Washington and Sarah Ann "Sadie" (Todd) Corbin, and will then write about the two remaining children Martha Jane Corbin, who married Levi L. Plumber and Nancy Anna Corbin, who married Edgar Bell.   Both sisters lived most of their lives in Adams County, Nebraska.

It is interesting that I grew up knowing my Corbin Grandpartents, Robert and Mildred (McCauley) Corbin, and also Robert's siblings, Ira Corbin, Edna Corbin and Sylvia Corbin, but I never once heard any of them mention their Corbin cousins in Nebraska.   I now know that when they were young, the Corbin's exchanged visits from their homes in Ayr, Nebraska and Wichita, Kansas---but even my mother (Robert's daughter Lucille (Corbin) Clark) never mentioned knowing that there were cousins in Nebraska.  I have really enjoyed getting acquainted with several of them.

Once finished with the descendants of James and Cynthia (Casteel) Corbin, I will move to the Clark Family and then the McCauley Family.    As any of you who have worked with genealogy know, while I mention only three surnames, the descendants of these ancestors and the surnames involved will number in the hundreds.  

At the current time, I have nearly 5000 families represented in my "Kith and Kin" Family Tree at www.ancestry.com.     It has been a labor of love, but one that I have very much enjoyed.   My greatest joy, however, comes in sharing that family information with you gentle readers.

From time to time I will also be writing articles about my hometown, Maple Hill, Kansas.    I have now become email correspondents with the descendants of George W. Fowler, who is the founder of Maple Hill.   They have generously shared family photographs and genealogical information which I will share.   They are very much aware of Fowler's involvement in developing the town of Maple Hill as well as the ranching community which surrounds it.    There will be other articles about Maple Hill families and history.

So with that announcement, I am "back in the game" as they say.    I will begin writing articles within a day or two.    Here's hoping you are enjoying "Happy Trails!"

Nick Clark



Beautiful Big Sky Country and the Yellowstone River in Montana.
















July 2013 visit to son Nicholas, wife Natalie, Lian and Mia Clark---outside the Virginia Aquarium.


Grampee, Will and Wyatt Allendorf (two of Amy's boys) making bread sticks for dinner during an October 2013 visit.


October 2013 "reunion" in Kansas for the wedding of Katy Lynn Clark and Josh Ray.   L-R are Rich Allendorf, son Weston, my daughter Amy (Clark) Allendorf, holding Will Allendorf, Wyatt Allendorf, Uncle Les Justice, husband of Sarah Emma (Corbin) Justice, and my brother, Gary Wayne Clark.    Happy days!!


Will and Wyatt Allendorf playing soccer near their home in Cincinnati, Ohio on a beautiful day in October 2013.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment