Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A 70-Year-Old Valentine

Happy Valentines Day!!    I thought this would be a fun opportunity to share a Valentine my mother, Lucille (Corbin) Clark, made for an older gentleman who was at the time, a friend.   The friend was Leander Emory "Lee" Jones, who would in another 10 years become her grandfather-in-law.
The front of the Valentine says: " To Mr. Jones from Lucille Corbin."

I didn't scan the message inside, but it says, "Be My Valentine!"

It would appear that the little image my mother cut out of something, might have been from an old wallpaper book or a magazine, there's no way to know.   At that time, with the Great Depression at its height, I'm certain there was no money to buy a Valentine.

I don't know how they became friends.   He was Maple Hill's town marshall at the time and that could have been why she gave the little card to him---I suppose we'll never know because I didn't ask her before she passed away.

L-R:  Mabel Rachel (Jones) Clark, Leander Emory Jones, Susanna Jeanetta (Reinhardt) Jones and Edith Belle (Jones) Strowig.   This picture could have been taken in 1932, the year Lucille Corbin exchanged Valentines with her friend, Leander Jones.

I now have all of the pictures, cards, newspaper clippings and other bits of trivia I have from my grandmothers and mother filed in one drawer so I don't even know who saved this little Valentine's card.  
A photo of the Robert Corbin Family taken in about 1936.   L-R: George S. Corbin, Joan Corbin, Sarah Emma Corbin, Vivian Corbin and standing L-R: Lucille Corbin, Mildred (McCauley) Corbin and Robert Corbin.

There's certainly a lot more I don't know about it than is known, but on this Valentine's Day 2012, I wanted to share it with you.    Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment