Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Gone on Grampee Duty!

Dear readers, 

I wanted you to know that I will be going to Norfolk, Virginia tomorrow and will be on "Grampee Duty" for a few days.   I'll return on October 18, and will resume writing.   I'll be visiting my son Nicholas, his wife Natalie and their children Mia and Liam in Suffolk, VA.   I try and go at least a couple of times each year and hopefully they will soon be able to visit here in California.

Nicholas is an account executive for an electrical supply company in Norfolk, where the economy still thrives because there is a large U. S. Navy base as well as a N.A.T.O. base with some 180,000 military personnel and their dependents.   Natalie is an animal lover par excellence and works for an area kennel where she cares for dogs.   When we all lived in Lafayette, Indiana we all feared the times when Natalie decided to visit the local humane society shelter because not only did she choose pets for their family, she would come home with pets for the rest of us as well.   She always chose well and we enjoyed the dogs she brought home.

L-R are Natalie, Liam, Nicholas and Mia Clark.   This picture was taken at Christmas 2008, but it's one of my favorites.

The Smithfield Inn, Smithfield, VA

One time when I went to visit them, I stayed at the nearby Smithfield Inn.   It's owned by Smithfield Ham, and the desk clerk asked me if I'd like to stay in Paula Dean's room.  She had just been there making a commercial for Smithfield Ham.  I said "Of course!" The Inn is beautiful and historic.  As with most old Inns in Virginia, George Washington slept there.  Fortunately, it was already rented at $350 per night including breakfast.

Now, a great deal of training is needed to provide the proper care for grandchildren.   I obtained mine from my son-in-law Rich Allendorf, holding their oldest son Will and from my son Nicholas feeding his son Liam.   As you can tell, they are in proper uniform.   What you cannot see is that they are both sitting in front of a 50" television where they have taken a break from playing all manner of games.   Yes, Grampees have to be properly trained, and Daddies are best equipped to provide it.

We're hoping to go to Williamsburg while I'm there.  It's about 40 miles north of where they live.   Nicholas and Natalie became engaged while visiting Williamsburg and it's one of their favorite places.   Hopefully I'll get some good photos to bring home and share with you.

Mia was four in March this year and Liam will be six in November.   He is in Kindergarten and loves it.   Mia is jealous and can't wait to join Liam at school but attends private preschool. 

Grampee will do his duty, spending time with the family, spoiling the grand babies, and then flying away to leave Mom and Dad with the aftermath.   Isn't that what grandparents are supposed to do?
I'll be back writing about family history in a few days.   Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment